Pages

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Weaning Ram Lambs

Saturday was a GREAT day. With Matt's help (The Kid Across The Road Who Makes It Possible For Me To Do All This), we gave CDT shots to all of the lambs. What a treat it is to catch and hold each of them as I examine fleece and conformation. I have some WONDERFUL lambs out there! We wormed the ewe flock as well. At the same time, we weaned all but the three youngest ram lambs. I sold 20 ram lambs to a friend to use for training border collies. Two, who had badly broken horns ... at the peak of fly season ... went into the freezer. There are still seven more that I will cull ... six that I am comfortable selling for breeding stock ... and ten that I will winter over. There are currently only nine rams in my mature ram flock ... one is sold ... three yearlings will be listed for sale soon ... and five are staying with me. The group seems a decent size for the space that I have for them. I am, building a separate shed and paddock for the five mature rams, so that they won't have to put up with the ten little annoying boys all winter ... :-)
As you can see in this picture ... we had some help with our task ... from the new puppy, Molly!

No comments: