Pages

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is!

Well ... I have always said that I would never sell anything as breeding stock that I wouldn't keep in my own flock. Words. Easy to say. But ... this past weekend I got to see if they are the truth.

I sold a small starter flock last August ... SheltrgPines Hera, WillowGarden Tracy Chapman, WillowGarden Gloria Gayner, and WillowGarden Benny Goodman. Last week I got a call from the woman who bought this flock, and as circumstances had changed, she had to get rid of the flock. I looked at pedigrees and said 'I'll buy them back'.

When we went to pick up the sheep, there was one ewe lamb, and I took her as well.


I am soooooo happy to have Hera back. I love this ewe. And I will keep Palmyra's katmoget lamb and her gulmoget ewe lamb. I'll likely sell Palmyra's yearling moorit ewe as I have so many moori
ts.
Best of all, I got Benny back. Benny is a grey yuglet flecket gulmoget ram. Every lamb that he sires will be either Ag or gulmoget. He sired four lambs his year ... three gulmogets and one musket. I will definitely play around with this ram. He is also a Bridget grandson, and Bridget is the ewe that I lost to pregnacy toxemia this year.

It was so cool to know that indeed, I do sell sheep that I would happily keep in my own flock. The experience just reasured me. I think I am on the right track.

:-)

No comments: