Pages

Friday, July 14, 2006

Reducing ... Flock Size That is ... Not Moi Size ... hehehe

Well ... finally, we have reach the time of 'paring down'. It is my favourite time (as the money that comes in pays for the rest of the year) ... but it is also my least favourite time, as I have to listen to the lonely and longing cries of my babes for their dams ... and my girls for their babes. The sheep that have been sold are leaving in GREAT numbers right now.

We started on Wednesday morning with seven that went for slaughter ... but it was scheduled so that they arrived at the exact time they were 'required' ... and thus left my truck, with a scratch under their chin ... and into the 'plant'. To some this might sound harsh ... but for me ... I know that no sheep has ever had a better life ... no sheep has had a more 'scheduled' death. My butcher calls me 30 minutes before he is ready for the kill and I arrive at the moment they are to be killed, so they don't see death before it is their own. Hey ... it matters to me!


For those who may care ... this time, all seven were destined for my freezer, or my family's freezers. I had legs from all seven deboned and rolled (nice as roasts, or untied for the barbecue). I had the smallest three lambs just cubed for stew or kabobs ... great for the barbecue, or stew or curries and the like. The biggest four were ground, with one third staying as ground lamb, one third being made into smoked bratwurst, and one third being made into honey garlic sausage.

I also have a starter flock of nine sheep leaving here on Saturday ... two sheep being delivered to another farm ... six leaving to another farm on Sunday ... likely five heading out on Monday ... and five ewes and 20 cull rams (sold as a herding flock) leaving on Tuesday.

It is my favourite time of year ... and also the time that I dread. There are so many fine animals leaving my farm ... *sigh* ... but ... I am already thinking about breeding groups for next Fall ... sooooo ... the cycle continues ... hehehe

No comments: