Pages

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Determination!

Well, last night while walking through the field, I found my missing hen.

Last Fall, I decided to get rid of all my ducks and hens, in an attempt to cut down my workload. Somehow, one of my speckled hens managed to hide and escaped her fate ... a plastic bag in my freezer, followed by the soup pot. I named this determined creature, Anne Frank and let her stay. Normally, she hangs out with the sheep, eats grain when they do, and sleeps near them to keep warm in the winter.

She disappeared a while ago and I was pretty sure that I'd never see her again.
Until last night ... when I found her sitting on a HUGE clutch of eggs!

The problem is ... there is no rooster on the farm, so she could end up sitting on those eggs forever. I'm thinking of trying to get 4 or 5 chicks from somewhere for her. She has been through so much already that I'd hate to put her through the trauma of me taking her eggs from her ... like I did all of her sisters and friends!

1 comment:

bopeep said...

Love it,
Having had little bantams who insisted on sitting clutches out in the woods...and a un-married goose...who has to be forced off her eggs once or twice a year...I vote for adding some good eggs too.