Pages

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Gulmoget

Here is a picture of one of my gulmoget ewes, sheared. The most important characteristics of the pattern, IMHO, are ...
  • light belly, with the light extending up under the tail. The line between dark and light is truly a line, with the skin under each colour being a coresponding colour.
  • light inside the ears, which doesn't show in this picture, but it is like the reverse ear marking to a katmoget.
  • light under the chin that extends to the throat, and sometimes down the chest to the belly.
  • the legs also have 'pattern', very much like the katmoget.
  • eye fleshes vary greatly on my gulmogets, and also seem to change during the year. It is important that they be there, but several of mine are only noticeable when the sun is right ... :-)
  • The true test for gulmoget would be breeding as the pattern is co-dominant to katmoget and grey, recessive to white, but dominant over Aa, so that 50% of the lambs from a gulmoget will also be gulmoget.
I have about 15 gulmoget ewes at the moment, and several gulmoget rams. What I am seeing is the same variations that I see between katmogets. As to 'Burrit', Sue Russo, in the UK, told me that they don't use that as a recognized marking any more. Not sure why.

When we were at the Dailley Farm for the AGM, there was a gulmoget/musket ewe lamb! Linda Doane looked at my gulmogets and said that they are the exact same pattern that she had seen in the sheep she registered as gulmoget. I have a Dailley ram that sired a gulmoget ewe.

As soon as the border opens up, I'd like to bring in a Dillon Gulmoget and do some test breeding with him. I'm wondering if there isn't a 'light gulmoget face' (Alt) ... like there is a 'light babger face' (Alb). That would be something interesting to look into.

No comments: