Pages

Monday, May 15, 2006

Dailley Iris

Iris is my favourite ewe ... out of 74. I went visiting Carole Dailley in January a few years ago, and saw her ... in a flock of 100 or so ewes, she stood out. I managed to convince Carole to sell her to me and I picked her up in March as a bred ewe. She was WILD ... and jumped over two fences before I managed to get her into a barn where I knew that I could contain her.

She has tamed down and, although she doesn't come for chin scratches, she will come for cookies.

She is conformationally very correct. She is also mioget and has a very even, soft and crimpy fleece. Her fleece is the type that I am breeding for as it is a single coat, yet with length. Every year I price her fleece at three times what it is worth so that no-one will buy it ... and every year it sells first. Last year, I kept it and a friend, Lise Noakes, is spinning it and knitting it into a sweater for me.

Lise Noakes also owns 'The Yarn Source' and has my yarn ... 'The Shirt Off My Back' ... available for sale. There are 11 colours available and I am extremely pleased with the quality of the yarn. There is some nice lace weight yarn available. Feel free to contact her for pricing and additional information.

Lise Noakes

noakes.yarn@sympatico.ca

4 comments:

Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Ohhh, your fleece photo of Iris has my hands itching to work on some fiber this rainy day ;) Thank you for your very enjoyable posts, it is so obvious how much you appreciate your sheep (and other animals, I would say!)

We are in Michigan and it would be so much fun to travel to your Open House, but have our own busy farm at this time of year! Will have to read about it on the blog! Cary at Serenity Farms

Mrs. Falstaff said...

The email address in this post is wrong, it should be yarns, not yarn.

I live close by, and will try to convince my family that your open house would be fun. Do you sell your yarn at the farm, as well?

Kate Sanderson

Bill Stearman said...

Hi Kate,

Lise Noakes just let me know that she'll be here with my a table to sell my yarn. Spread the word. I think you'll be happy with it.

Bill

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»