Pages

Friday, April 16, 2010

I Know That Life Is Good ... but ...

Last weekend, Great Plains Sara, a 1999 F1 Lightning ewe produced an awesome black ram lamb with a minor krunet, out of WillowGarden Garnish, a ram out of the best sheep from my two AI imports. He was slated to keep and evaluate.

Yesterday, I moved Sara and her lamb along with Isabell and her lamb into the side yard (Kate's House) so they could get extra groceries as they both need and deserve a boost. Seems that was a mistake.

This morning, my sheep had me out there early due to their noise and upset. Once everyone was fed and then ewes and lambs had found each other ... it was obvious that a lamb was missing ... Sara's ... carried off in the night by a VERY cunning coyote!
I have listened to her cry for her lamb all day ... and have shed a tear or two with her myself. I THOUGHT that I had the situation under control ... but I do not. I had thought that I might breed a few more ewes next year ... I will not. And ... I will never again keep ewes that need extra care as that extra care ... could be life threatening.

I am a bit discouraged, but I do still know that life is good. Maybe this happened so that I would learn that 20 ewes lambing is my max/ideal. I don't know.

I just know that life IS good ... it has to be ... otherwise ... what is there?

:-)

4 comments:

Sabrina Wille Erickson said...

Oh Bill...I'm so sorry you lost one of your most promising lambs. Try not to be to hard on yourself. We, each of us, try to do our very best...and that is all we can do.

Heidi said...

Oh Bill, I am so sorry.

Life is good; without darkness how would we know to appreciate the light.

Vicki Foster said...

Oh Bill, that is so sad. Glad to see you are keeping your chin up, how could anyone have known. :(

Cindy said...

Just reading through your lambing posts...I'm so sorry to hear about the lamb and her poor mama.