Pages

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Lambs - April 6th

WillowGarden Jean Harlowe, had an awesome moorit yuglet flecket katmoget ram lamb in the wee hours of the morning.  The sire is Spring Water Lamb Friday.
 I will be evaluating him for potential sale as a flock sire.  His genetics are awesome!
 Then around mid morning Spring Water Eve got around to lambing and delivered a single, 8 pound ram lamb.  His fleece looks to be amazing!  His tail is too long for me to consider using him as a flock sire, BUT, his fleece will be too nice for him to become dinner.  I think that I will band him and then try to sell him as a wether to a spinners flock.
 Banding him is also a good idea as I am milking Eve and the little guy will get way more attention than any RAM needs to have had as a lamb.  I am sharing Eve's milk with her lamb.  Today, he got all that he wanted and I got two litres of colostrum, which I have frozen for emergency use.
 I will freeze the milk as I go along, and then when I have at least four litres, I will make some cheese.  I had hoped to have a milking stand built and ready to use ... but my broken wrist put that plan on the back burner. So far, she isn't minding me milking her ... and I am not minding sitting on the floor to do it!
I LOVED these pictures of mom and son ... in the sun ... so I posted lots ... :-)

Life is good!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Wonderful lambs Bill and lovely pictures.

Krista Mullen said...

Interesting thoughts, I really enjoyed your blog.