Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

52 New Meat Pullets

Today I picked up my 50 (+2 for good measure) meat birds for my first brooding.  I'm just doing pullets this time as I have customers interested in smaller birds (around 5 pounds).
What a sight it is to see 73 little yellow chicks all being brooded in a water trough!  They prance around and frolic like they don't have a care in the world.  I LOVE it when my animals seem happy with their life.


Baby bird total here at Willow Garden is now at 100 ... with 30 Welsummer pullets, 6 Welsummer roosters, and 12 Australorp pullets (for my neighbours, but I'll brood them) due to arrive next Wednesday ... :-)  The feed store is going to LOVE me this summer ... LOL.


And I have 50 more coming in from Murray McMurrays in the US on May 16th ... both white and black Jersey Giants, and Dark Brahmas.  I'm playing around with some slower growing larger breeds for my own use this year.  I'll keep you posted with my observations as things progress.  So far, my only observation is that Embden Geese increase their size by 50% in their first day and a half of life!

I moved my geese so that they are not with the turkeys.  Boy do they like things wet ... and my turkeys do NOT!  The goslings are growing like mad!  I can hardly wait to get them out to pasture!

1 comment:

mi3pddldks said...

Wow your customers want smaller birds...wish they were around where I am...they all want bigger birds.

We got our chicks on Tuesday and now they are in the house due to the power outage we had yesterday...they were starting to get cold. I kept them in last night just to keep them warm as they didn't need to be shocked again! The kids absolutely loved having the baby chicks inside and it was a good learning experience for them in animal husbandry. They are going out this morning! I will have lots of help since their school is closed due to power outage!