Pages

Saturday, March 13, 2010

T-Bone

I got a call from my neighbour today around noon asking me if I wanted a day old red Dexter bull calf. His Mom prolapsed really badly and was going to be put down. Well, I'd have rather it had been a heifer, but ... what a good chance for me to learn about calves!
So ... meet T-Bone, my bottle baby bull calf!
He had a full belly when I brought him home, and other than being cold and wet from the rain, he looks good ... so far ... :-)
This will be quite the learning curve. I am open to ANY advice folks can pass on to me ... :-)

Oh ... and yes ... his name DOES mean that someday he will be dinner ... no matter how cute he is.

3 comments:

Sabrina Wille Erickson said...

Oh...he's a sweetie, Bill. I remember my first bull calf...Twister: a red brindled Hereford x Brown Swiss. My only advice...if you're going to eat him, castrate him. His size and eagerness for the bottle bucket will be more than enough to reckon with...you don't need the hormones thrown in the mix. :) Have fun with him. Bottle calves are so lovable.

Deb said...

Hi Bill,
What a nice looking calf. I agree with Sabrina.....when he's big enough, castrate him. Banding works just fine.
I'm raising a nice angus bull calf on a bottle. I leave all my calves with their mother a month and then transfer them to a bottle. He's also getting calf grain 2x daily and hay/water. Growing in leaps and bounds. He will also be T bone!
Good luck = they are fun and taste great :)

Deb
Tylerfarm
www.tylerfarmhomestead.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Bill,

With all these meaty-named animals around, I'm beginning to be a bit concerned about your cholesterol level...

Cathy