Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Most Expensive 'FREE' Calf EVER ... :-)

Well ... poor T-Bone just looked so alone and 'un-natural' in a pen all by himself that I felt I HAD to do something for him ... so ... I bought him a 'mom'. Mom is a 7 or 8 year old milking Shorthorn. I have named her 'Hazel'. She is 'dog-tame' and lets T-Bone feed from her, as long as she is eating. And by the look of her, she could sure use the extra food this might take. 'Dairy' cattle put so much into producing milk!
I asked that she come with a milking Shorthorn calf, and they sent along a three week old heifer calf. She is very cute ... but not as used to me as T is. You'll notice T in the picture below, sneaking behind to drink his fill ... That's my boy ... hehehe.
Amber, the Shorthorn calf is quite pretty ...
... and she seems well settled in to her new home.
Life is good ... :-)

6 comments:

Franna said...

Ohhhh, Bill. Hazel is beautiful! What an interesting group of cattle you'll have!

Michelle said...

Amber is sooo beautiful! Are you planning to start milking, too? Such wonderful things you could have - milk, cream, butter, cheese, yogurt, mmmmmm....

Hopeful Farm said...

Looks lioke you will be busy with nursery duty. They are very nice looking calves. I am thinking clotted cream and scones.

Cattle Call Farm said...

I got one of those "free" calves myself 2 years ago. I could never get out of her what I got in her. I would never sale her though, she's given me more than money could ever buy. She's now my 700lb baby. Her name is "Little Britches". I just recently bred her, she should calf this September, I can't wait.

Nancy K. said...

What pretty girls! Maybe you'll decide not to eat T-bone after all ~ he could make beautiful babies with Hazel and Amber!

;-)

You couldn't possibly be planning on actually MILKING your cow. ARE you???

Happy Spring, my Friend!

Karen Valley said...

I really like the shorthorns you've added. And I would definitely be milking them...except I don't believe lovely unpasteurized creamy milk is on the Weight Watchers' menu?