Pages

Monday, July 13, 2009

RIP WillowGarden Dash

I was TOTALLY frustrated after last Saturday morning. A wolf got into my ram night pasture and killed WillowGarden Dash. He is pictured below last November. He had matured in to a stunning, and large boy.

I saw the wolf in my ewe pasture when I was cutting thistles on Monday and he is HUGE! I have my puppies in with the ewe flock, and they are progressing nicely. At the end of the day, before the ewes come in for the night, the dogs and I 'mark our territory' around the perimeter of the ewe pasture. I have a beer before I head out, and then take one with me. (I learned this technique from watching the movie, 'Never Cry Wolf')
Anyway ... I'll be paring the ewe flock back to a size that can easily be penned if needed. The rams will also get a more secure space and extra lighting. I am also looking at adding two more LGDs. Seems like a lot of dogs, but my farm is in the midst of a bush and coyotes and wolves are at all-time record numbers! I can't just watch my sheep get killed!

I needed a plan in order to move past being frustrated ... and I came across an ad for Akbash puppies. They are 6 weeks old July 25th, so will not be much use for anything other than 'marking territory' until next year. BUT ... considering all of the kids that come here, I need pups that I can train, rather than adult dogs.

I'll keep you all posted.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh dear, Bill, I am so sorry to hear this! A full-grown ram at that! I don't think I've heard of anyone else losing sheep to a wolf; they aren't very common in the lower 48. Awesome creatures, but not near your sheep. Would two full-grown LGDs being able to take one, or would the wolves likely find easier prey?

Hopeful Farm said...

So sorry Bill. Make sure your county livestock acessor comes out and you will at least get some compensation for him I wish I was close enough t let Nick and Kayls patrol for you. Let me know if there is something I can so, Michele

Bill Stearman said...

In the late 1990s, the Ministry of Natural Resources introduced wolves into the area to deal with the number of deer related accidents. The wolves crossed with the Coyotes, so this guy that I saw is likely a crossbeed. Apparently there are LOTS in the area!

Bill Stearman said...

I'll be OK Michele, but it means that I can't increase my flock size the way that I had hoped to. And I am only going to keep 22 of the rams, INCLUDING the ram lambs. BUT ... at 50 ewes and 20-ish rams, I can shut everyone in at night. If it rains, then the pasture will grow and I won't have to pasture the back 10 acres. It is truly in the bush!

Cate said...

Bill, we have electric fencing everywhere, predator fencing a 160 pound Guardian and lock everyone up at night because the rest of the farm is dense forest and we have packs of very bold coyotes
How horrid for you.very sorry
Cate ( Earendel farm)