Pages

Monday, July 27, 2009

Is It Possible ... :-))

Many years ago, my Aunt placed me in charge of the UGLIEST plant in the world! It is some sort of a cactus that my grandmother got as a young girl ... over 100 years ago.
My Grandmother always claimed that it only flowered at night, and that the flowers only lasted for one night. I believed her ... I mean ... who DOESN'T believe their GRANDMOTHER! It also explained why I never saw a flower on this plant ... I was IN BED ... hehehe
Anyway ... in the many years that I have cared for this plant ... it has never flowered. 'Parts' of this plant have been passed on to anyone in the family who even expressed the remotest interest in owning one. To the best of my knowledge ... no plant from this parent plant has EVER flowered. That allows me, at the least, to not take this personally ... LOL
Every Christmas, it gets 'decorated' ... but remains the laughing stock of my home ... :-(


BUT!!! ...

... look what I found on it yesterday, as it sits ... ignored ... on my front porch ...
TWO buds ... I THINK they are buds. I HOPE they are buds.


Life ... is so very good ... :-)

6 comments:

Carol B. said...

Wow! You may get to witness an event that occurs once in 100 years! That is a bit of good fortune. Will you be staying up late tonight to watch? :)

Becky Utecht said...

Hi Bill, your plant sure looks like one I've got called an orchid cactus. I got it from a friend several years ago. I put it outside for the summer and get some gorgeous blossoms on it. Mine are a beautiful pink and they are quite large. I can't wait to see the photos of yours when it blooms.

Kate said...

You better stay up all night tonight to catch this miracle....I just can't believe it but I'm definetely going to stick my "baby" version on the back porch and ignore it too :)

Nancy K. said...

Hope springs eternal!

;-)

Rayna said...

Some kind of cactus...hmmm...Thought Christmas cactus at first...but I think orchid cactus is more likely. They can sometimes be difficult to get to bloom. Good luck w/ your blooms!

Juliann said...

Bill that is really neat! I love plants, and I expecially love plants with a history behind them.
That is so very cool that it is blooming, it must be happy.