Pages

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Leslie Howard ... polled?

Well, Papaya's lambs are now two weeks old. They are growing nicely, but won't be big as adults. VERY even fleeces on them though ... especially the ram lamb, Leslie Howard.
He also has a nice tail. VERY little britch wool is evident, so far.
Although I thought that he might be Ag like his sire Juice, I don't think that he is.
AND ... where I should normally be seing 'nubs' or 'pointy things' growing ... there is nothing ... just leathery patches. They are not indents though.
I'm hoping that other polled Shetland breeders will offer some thoughts on this guy.
I have SEVERAL poll carries, including one directly from the current Dailley flock, so it will be fun to see what he throws.
I AM a sick boy!! Planning a breeding group for a two week old ram!! What is wrong with me ... hehehe
Life is good ... :-)




5 comments:

Cynthia said...

Oh come now Bill, not so odd. I thought we ALL were putting breeding groups together before the lambs were even born?! Very sweet crew you have there already. When does the primary group begin lambing?

Michelle said...

Leslie looks like a couple of mine (not that old yet); it will be indeed interesting to see how they all turn out!

Juliann said...

Hi Bill,
Hope you had a nice Easter. I'll bet he carries polled! Looks like he might be a half poll. Sometimes the leathery patch guys scur, sometimes they stay polled. What are his bloodlines?

Bill Stearman said...

Hi Juliann,

Easter was good. Had Gene out to see lambs for a few minutes ... took Easter dinner to him ... slept over for a 'night watch' ... picked up his Uncle who will stay 'til the end.

Ram lamb is out of Willowgarden Papaya and Willowgarden Juice. I KNOW that Papaya is from a scurred ram, 'cus I owned him ... awesome fleece.

This guy will be smaller than I like (from a small line), so ... if he isn't a full poll, I'll keep looking for one from the US ... ;-)

kkaci said...

Tarragon had the same leather patches last year with no obvious bumps. They came later. He did eventually get horns, but definitely not a full set.

Eagerly waiting for more photos :-) ... in particular for moorit or mioget gulmoget ram lambs lol.