Pages

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Lambs in SNOW!

Well, round one of lambing has ended. I had the one young 'hussey' bred in the trailer coming back from a sheep show last Fall. Then I had 12 ewes that had a good time with Juice when I left him with the flock for 6 days! Finally, I had two ewes that I put in with WillowGarden Twist lamb. That is 15 ewes that lambed before the main lambing time ... and they had just 20 lambs! Most of the lambs were HUGE singles around 8 pounds at birth.

I am also at 11 ram lambs and 9 ewe lambs. I was hoping for more girls this year as I already have a crowded ram paddock ... hehehe.

Above though are tiny twins, Liza Minnelli and Leslie Howard, that were just 3 1/2 pouinds each at birth. They LOVED the snow, but were NOT inpressed with the COLD as the day progressed!
Here we have Lionel Barrymore tagging along with his mom, Chocolatini, as she heads out to the hay bale. I am liking this guy ... a LOT!
And a mother/daughter pose with Rwanda and her near identical daughter, Anne Baxter.
Round two of lambing could start at any time. April 10 is day 145, so likely there will be some action on the weekend. Some of these ladies are HUGE, so I am hoping for twins ... rather than 12 pound singles ... *yikes* ... :-)


2 comments:

Jen and Rich Johnson said...

Man, Lionel is a little truck! I can see why you like him. Can you put him on a ferry and send him across the lake to me.

Rich

Bill Stearman said...

Hi Rich,

Lionel is an awesome tank of a guy. He'll be staying here for a while ... :-).

The genetics are awesome ... dam is WillowGarden Chocolatini (spelled Chocolantini in the data base ... grrr) a Sheltrng Pines Irene X Underhill Thelonius Monk daughter ... and WillowGarden Juice, an F2, F3 Greyling ram.