Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Fruited Turkey

Friday night was my annual family 'sleep over'. Generally, this just involves a BUNCH of my relatives coming in during the afternoon ... having a supper that I provide as most are from a distance ... and then a VERY late night of chat over 'beverages'. Often there are tents all over the yard, and a house strewn with sleeping bags.
This year, in addition to the salads, I opted to roast a turkey and serve it cold. How boring I thought ... so ... I made a stuffing of ... watermelon, kiwi, peaches, apples, plums, lemons, lime juice, peach schnapps, and coconut rum. I was afraid that it might be too sweet, so I added a generous scoop of dried chili peppers. I let that 'blend' over night, poured it into the bird in the morning, and layered the breast with maple cured bacon (a trick I learned from my son).
I basted it with its own juices as it cooked. When it was done, it was a master piece. Is this not about the prettiest bird you have ever seen?

I was also VERY yummy!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

What a genius cook you are! Wow!

Nancy K. said...

Oh my Lord! That sounds heavenly!!!

Franna said...

Oh, my!! You can come and cook for me anytime. I'll get the ingredients - any ingredients!
- Franna

Carolina Trekker said...

How did Bob & Doub behave while the Turkey was roasting? My cats LOVE turkey & camp out near the oven while it's roasting. Made a note to drape the breast with Maple Cured Bacon,,good tip.
This looks so good,,gotta fork?

Carolina Trekker said...

Good Grief,,sorry DOUG,,,i see i nicknamed you Doub. Yes, you can have Turkey.