Pages

Monday, November 19, 2007

It Is Coming!

Well ... as much as I hate to think about it ... it is coming ... and soon ... it will be winter. Each morning these days there is a thin layer of ice to break on the water troughs for all ten groups of sheep that I have!!! If it gets much colder, I may break up breeding groups after four weeks, instead of the usual five ... although it is due to warm up ... and rain ... for the rest of this week.
Last end of July, I noticed mosquito larvae in my water troughs ... so I bought a bunch of 'feeder' goldfish to put in. Out of 17, spread between the three big troughs ... we still have 16. Today I set up a 'tank' for them in the furnace room.

More work ... but ... how can I complain. They did their job, and will continue to eat the mosquito larvae.

Life is good ... :-)

2 comments:

Kim Nikolai said...

Hey Bill, I'm glad you posted this about the goldfish. I've been thinking of doing this too. Do they also eat the algae?

Kim

Bill Stearman said...

Hi Kim,

Not sure how much algae thay ate as I empty and javex the troughs at least every other week in the warm weather. They DID eat all of the mosquito larvae though, which was wehy I wanted them. It was also fun to watch my dogs' reaction to them being there.

Bill