Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Great Plain's Joanne, and her AI son, Congo

Great Plains Joanne is another ewe purchased from Carol Arthur. Her breeding is 100% domestic, which shows the strength Carol had in her flock even before her extensive AI venture.

She is not 'posing' well in this shot, as she is very straight and square. She also has a well sprung chest, which I like.
This histogram is from her third fleece. Joanne's fleece keeps its gray and spins up a silver colour. I like this ewe a lot.

Last year she had a single ram lamb out of Todhill Hornblower. WillowGarden Congo also seems to be holding his gray colour as well. I have not used him for breeding this year, but plan on retaining him.
I am disappointed in the CV for his fleece. I guess that I don't fully understand the genetics of fleece. Joanne has a low CV. Hornblower, the sire, has an even lower CV. Yet Congo, as a lamb, has a higher CV that I like to see in my adults. Go figure, eh!?
We'll see what he grows into ... :-).

No comments: