Pages

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Breeding Groups

Well ... it is done. Breeding Groups for 2008 lambs are set up! Of course, I needed help since my leg, although healing, is still an open wound. 'The Kid Across The Road Who Makes It Possible For Me To Do All This' ... also known as Matt ... came through in flying colours. It was a long day ... but rewarding in the end. This is a picture of Matt taken on AI day a year ago.We used the sheep handling equipment that I got from a friend (THANK YOU CAROL) to sort the sheep. The head gate section allowed us to sort sheep in five different directions. With a few hog panels for additional sorting ... we had sheep sorted into nine breeding groups and a non-breeding group. It took us close to an hour to set up the gates and panels the way we wanted them ... but ... in the end ... only two ewes had to be moved by hand!
I took this picture last night before bed. WillowGarden Kilimanjaro, an F1 Todhill Glayva spotted katmoget, guards his harem ... in front of the chute and gates.

It was pretty noisy last night. It seems some of the older girls are not thrilled with my selection of rams. Some of them are NEVER satisfied ... but ... heck ... it is only for 5 weeks ... hehehe. It also seems that some of the ewe lambs in the no-breed group were still VERY attached to their moms. I was glad that it was cold enough to sleep with the window shut ... hehehe.

Now ... I spend the next 5 weeks tending 9 breeding groups, 1 no-breed group, and 1 ram lamb group ... in the dark since the time changed last night. Matt will help on the days that I work because it will be dark by the time I get home from work.

And then ... the wait ... for LAMBS ... starting after March 28th ... :-)))

No comments: