Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2007

FirthofFirth Masala Chai

This little girl is one of the group that I collected over that past couple of years ... and then kept at Willow Garden South (aka Sheltering Pines) until the border opened, and they could come 'home'.

Chai is out of Winter Sky Sandstone and FirthofFirth Evidence of Autum. The genetics sure are there for a fine fleece ... but I was very disappointed when I felt this girl to take her sample a while ago. Her fleece has, to me, a terrible handle.

Her histogram does point out that there is indeed hope for finer handled fleeces out of this girl. It was taken when she was 18 months old. I am happy with her AFD. I think that the higher SD (remember I want 8 and under) and very high CV (my goal is 28 and lower) ... are what give her the courser handle ... all those whispy bits that show in her picture.
Chai is being bred to Kilimanjaro this year. Although he isn't my tightest ram (in terms of SD & CV), but I am guaranteed a spotted lamb with a decent, workable fleece. Next year, when I once again AI, I'll 'breed' her to Todhill Glayva.

No comments: