Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2007

You Are So Beautiful To Me

When my son was born, it was a cold, desolate day near the end of Feb. It was one of those days when the cold sets in after a thaw, and there is no snow anywhere. The world is just brown and dull.

Chris’ birth was induced due to complications, and up until he was born and a few quick tests performed, we were unsure if he would make it.

In those days, dads didn’t stay with Moms at the hospital … so, I waited until I got word from the doctors that Christopher William Stearman was indeed absolutely perfect and healthy … and I went home … filled with love for my new son.

When I got outside, the world was covered with a blanket of snow … those big fluffy white flakes of snow that stick to everything. My car was at the back of the parking lot, under a tree and near a light. I sat in my car for a moment and marvelled at the beauty … of the night … and of my son.

Then I turned on my car and the radio came on. The song playing was Joe Cocker … “You Are So Beautiful”. To this day, I still feel the warmth of the tears that I shed listening to that song, in that parking lot.

I tell this story a lot … and it has always embarrassed my son.

Yesterday, I gave him a ‘Joe Cocker’s Greatest Hits’ CD. I told him some night, when the house is quiet, and he is alone … to play that song … and think about nothing more than Will, his son. I told him that once he had done that … he’d understand exactly why I love to tell my story.

Both my son … and my Grandson … truly are sooooo beautiful to me …

You are so beautiful
To me
You are so beautiful
To me
Can't you see
You're everything I hoped for
You're everything I need
You are so beautiful
To me

You are so wonderful
To me
You are so wonderful
To me
Can't you see
You're everything I hoped for
You're everything I need
You are so wonderful
To me

You are so beautiful

To me
You are so beautiful
To me
Can't you see
You're everything I hoped for
You're everything I need
You are so beautiful
To me


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont think I've ever teared up at a blog entry before...beautiful!

Nancy K. said...

I'm missing my Baby Girl....she's at Navy Boot Camp!

What a precious gift each child is.

Michelle said...

Congratulations, Bill! Oh, I DO think Chris understands the story now, whether he's listened to the CD or not. I'm so happy for all of you.