Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Sheep ... Finally ... ;-)

Well ... as promised ... a blog entry about sheep ... :-) Of course, this is only because I forgot to take my camera when I went to visit Will yesterday ... ;-)

It is my plan to set up breeding groups this weekend ... with Matt's help, of course, as my leg is still not healed ... grrrr. I will be using six Shetland rams on 40 Shetland ewes.
This is Bramble Nick. I like him a lot. He will have just six ewes this Fall ... but ... he will be here for a while, I expect.
Underhill Thelonius Monk is the ram who got me down and dragged me when I hurt my leg. OK, so I could have let go ... but ... I'm just not as comfortable with him as I once was. He is sold and will be leaving here in mid December ... but before he goes, he will get 10 of my ewes to breed ... ;-)
Lugthart Starry Champion is an older guy ... but I like him. He will have two ewes in his group.
V Creek Hummer is a double patterned ram (gulmoget and katmoget). Every lamb he throws will be one or the other ... unless they are ED. I am using him to determine if some of my AI babies are ED or not. He will have seven ewes in his group. This is not the best picture of this dude. He is VERY square and correct ... and his fleece is awesome. I expect that he'll be here for a while as well.
WillowGarden Kilimanjaro is an F1 Glayva spotted katmoget ram. I'd be happier if he were bigger ... but I like him enough to breed him this Fall with eight ewes. I am hoping that he will grow into my replacement for Thelonius.WillowGarden Nelson, pictured here as a lamb, is an F1 Hornblower. He is also smaller than I wish that he was ... but will be used this Fall on eight ewes. His fleece and conformation are AWESOME!

I will also be breeding five Shetlands and five BFLs to my three BFL boys. I'm looking forward to seeing the Shetland mules. They should be impressive!

No comments: