Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Casey's Big Day

Last year, for my AI experience, I had to have a 'true' teaser ram ... IE one that had been given a vasectomy.

Casey had his ... on a bale of straw ... in the back yard ... with an audience ... last Thanksgiving.

I don't think that he was too happy about it last year, but this year ... he will be glad that he went through that ordeal.This morning, WITH GENE'S HELP, I separated Casey out of the big boy flock ... and put him in with the ewe flock. As you can see ... he was a HAPPY boy.

I do have many ewes that are TOTALLY discussed that I have done this too them! But ... I want a tight lambing season this year ... and I have Casey anyway ... so why not use him?

I hope to sort the ewes into breeding groups ... and move in the rams ... on November 1st, which is two weeks earlier than usual. My goal is for lambing to be done by the end of April.

Hmmmm ... that would free up some time for getaways with the Boler and my new kayaks ... which I haven't yet used because of this leg! Getaways ... during the week ... before school is out and the Parks fill with kids and crowds ... ;-)

Life ... is good.


2 comments:

Michelle said...

Is Casey polled? I don't see any horns!

Bill Stearman said...

Casey is scurred. When I decided that I couldn't add one more focus to my breeding program (poller-ness) Casey became a prime candidate for the vasectomy. His fleece is AWESOME!

The one near polled ram that I kept ... is leased until Christmas ... and the sold.

You have a good eye ... ;-)