Pages

Monday, June 26, 2006

Sorry, Folks ... :-)

Well, I sure do feel genuinely cared about ... :-) You wouldn't believe the number of emails ... and even phone calls to see if I was OK, since it has been a week since I posted here. I will TRY to do better. Last week was a BUSY week at school, what with it being our last week with students ... and I had to work the whole week. I'm not sure how I used to do that ... but ... I didn't have almost 185 sheep back then ... hehehe.
Anyway, work, report cards, farm, Gene away, and a terrible battle with a cold (with the cold winning most of the week) just had me too tired to want to update my blog. SORRY!

So ... what has happened since? So many things!

On the weekend, Matt, my 'hired hand' (the kid across the road who makes it possible for me to do this), and I wormed the flock and did the first vaccinations for the lambs. My sister was here and we took the time to do a thorough evaluation of the lambs and make detailed notes. I am SOOOOOOOO happy with the lambs this year! ... but ... there will be more ewe lambs and yearling ewes going onto my sale list either later today or tomorrow. For reasons that I'll explain later in the week, I have to keep more older ewes, so ... the younger ones have to go to keep the numbers at the point were we have the space.

THEN ... we started our annual battle against the Canadian Thistle. We have used Round-up, and vinegar, and finally resorted to hoe, shovel and lawn mower. By the end of Wednesday, I VOW that there will not be a single thistle left to spread its seeds!

We could use some rain as the pasture and lawn is turning crisp. Looks like a good chance of rain tomorrow, and the sheep that are sold will start leaving the farm within the week, which will ease the pressure on the pastures.

The thistle pictures are not mine ... and don't ANY of you DARE to think that they are beautiful ... or I'll hand you a hoe ... hehehe

1 comment:

Kim Nikolai said...

Hey Bill, have you talked to Mike Ludlam about battling canadian thistle? He seems to have gotten the knack of it.