Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Shetland Sales ... Why Can't I just say ... 'SOLD OUT'!

I continue to get requests from previous customers to add another ewe to their flock. In the past two weeks I have sold three girls that were NOT on my sale list, but all are either bred, or will be bred to one of my rams ... and I always ask for 'first right of refusal' on lambs from stock that I sell ... sooo ... here is what I sold ...

The little mioget girl in the middle ... WillowGarden Baltimore ... went to a non-registered flock just down the road.
... as did Fibre Works Kallisto, bred to Spring Water Lamb Friday.
WillowGarden Grenadine, one of my finest fleeced ewes, but homozygous for katmoget (I think), went to a new flock nearby that will be registering their sheep. She is bred to V Creek Leo.
This leaves me with 16 adult Shetland ewes ... and six of these are extension dominant and bred to a Cormo ram!

So ... I decided to breed the seven ewe lambs that I have.

The four that are Ab/At will be bred to an Extension dominant ram that is either Ab ... At ... Ag ... or a combination of these ... :-) I'm hoping for a few more ewes for my Corland project from this group.
The remaining three will be bred to Friday.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

May we all be so cursed as to be asked to sell our "keepers"! It just goes to show what a good job you are doing. I'd love to add one myself, but there's that pesky Canada-U.S. border in the way....

Bill Stearman said...

As time goes on, I am growing to become more and more fond of that border, Michelle. I sure wish that it was more open for sheep ... but I fully support a border that keeps us as two separate and different countries ... two countries that are respectful of our many differences ... :-)