Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

Cormo Roving

When I brought in my two Cormo rams last summer, they got quite stressed and had a heavy load of worms that seemed resistant to most de-wormers that I had. They became quite sick and I thought that I was going to loose them.

Well, they bounced back nicely, but 'blew' their fleeces and I roo-ed out what I could to save it.
I just got the rovings back from a local mill, 'Dying For Colour', and they are 'to die for'! I gasp every time I stick my hand into the bag ... :-)

They are not just lambs' fleeces, but fleeces taken from four month old lambs.

I have two pounds of the stuff and no idea what to sell it for. Help me out folks ... How much is this stuff worth?

6 comments:

Meagan said...

Wow, that's really hard to price. Let's see if we can take a stab here. It would make ~8 4oz skeins of the softest nicest wool around. A skein of that could sell anywhere between 25-40+$ depending on just how nice it is, dyeing, etc. You can do the math for that part of it. All I know is if I were in your shoes, considering I'm a spinner, I wouldn't let the 2lbs go for anything less than $80-100. That's the value I personally put on those fleeces! Maybe it's too high. Who knows. All I know is as a spinner this is liquid gold and it`d take a lot of effort to get it out of my hands.

Kaylan e. Senour said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cornerstone Fibres said...

Hi Bill:

As a handspinner I can tell you no less than $45 -$50 for a lb of good quality cormo -it is very hard to come by here in Canada :)
Sounds yummy!
BFN
Kim
Cornerstone Fibres

Bill Stearman said...

I forgot to add that it cost me $46 to have the two little fleeces processed!

I'd likely want $4 per ounce ... or $60 per pound for it. It is AWESOME stuff!

Hopeful Farm said...

Hi Bill, I always charge double what it cost me to have it done and then add 50 cents to a a dollar per oucne for the really good stuff Gil was able to knit socks with that wool in your bag. He'll knit up some more for you over the winter if you would like. Michele

stephen rouse said...

Cormo top here in Michigan sells for $60 per pound. YOu should be able to get at LEAST that there in Canada!