Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2009

New Birds

I got a call from a woman last night who 'knows people in the poultry world.' We talked for a long time as it seems that folks who are passionate about birds are as friendly as those of us who are passionate about sheep.
She is pretty sure that she can get me a trio of bearded silkies. The one above is white, but she will look for blue. I don't care the colour, I just want them so they can hatch other eggs for me. And ... my son-in-law thinks they are about the cutest birds ever ... :-)
I have one Cukkoo Maran at the moment and I LOVE the very dark red brown eggs that she lays. My new friend thinks she can get me a pair of these so that I will have a trio. How cool is that?!!
And ... I am getting a trio of Red Bourban turkeys. I am trading one of my young Naragansett toms for a young tom, and then getting two 6 week old poults. I hope, of course, that at least one is female as I'd like a clutch of these to hatch out next Spring.
I'll know later today what she is able to get for me. Then Tuesday afternoon, I will go and pick them up.
Life is GOOD ... :-) ... and so is retirement ... hehehe


3 comments:

Cynthia said...

You will appreciate the Cuckoo Marans Bill. They don't tend to broodiness and you will enjoy eggs and can use your Silkies to hatch any Marans you want. They are tremendously independent and very hardy. I've just sold 5 of my roos. Sorry you aren't closer.

Sabrina Wille Erickson said...

Neato! Your grandbabies are so lucky to have you and a place to learn about farming and the animal world. Love the cows too.

:)

Nancy K. said...

How FUN!
I want to retire!!

(unfortunately, THAT aint gonna happen....

Your joy is contagious ~ thanks for sharing it!