Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Gene - a Health Update

Gene has bladder cancer. He found out near the end of November. At the time, I did some internet searching and discovered that this type of cancer has an 85% success rate for full recovery (no sign of cancer after 5 years).

Gene has not been so lucky. We found out last Wednesday that the cancer has spread to his lungs and his liver. He has lost a LOT of weight already (down to 155 pounds from 185-195). He is weak, but positive.

He spent a few days in the Picton Hospital getting blood, as his hemoglobin was VERY low. After 7 units he was sent home. His sister is coming in from MA tomorrow to be with him for two weeks while he goes through more tests and appointments.

Gene has a wonderfully upbeat attitude and approach to things at the moment. If anyone would like his email address or snail mail address to sent words of encouragement ... email me privately.


Prayers help as well. I hope. I pray a lot these days.

3 comments:

Juliann said...

Bill, I'm so sorry to hear this news about Gene. Nobody can paint a Shetland like Gene can!
If you would send me his mailing address, I'd love to send a card his way.

Cornerstone Fibres said...

BIG HUGS and prayers going up for Gene and for you as well -its rough on everybody when this happens!!
Please email me Genes addy so we can send him some words and thoughts!!

andrea said...

my thoughts and prayers will be with Gene (and you as a dear friend) my family has had far too much experience with cancer - I always enjoyed the little stories about him when I first found your blog