Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Chicks ordered For May First Hatch

I LOVE dark brown, and dark red/brown eggs ... so I have ordered breeds of chicks this year that are known for their beautiful darker eggs.

Here is what is coming ... six Black Langshorns, pictures above
... six Welsummers
... six Cuckoo Marans
... and six Barnvelders

I have also ordered 26 White Rock X meat birds.

These birds are coming from a neighbour who is internationally famous for his birds, Jason Cain of Performance Poultry. I bought birds from him last year and they were outstanding.

I can hardly wait for them to get here. The arrival of chicks ... for me ... guarantees that Spring is here to stay ... :-)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I have one Welsummer, and her eggs are so fun! My henhouse is full up, or I'd get a Cuckoo Maran or two and more Easter Eggers. Having our own eggs from happy chickens is wonderful!

andrea said...

what I would LOVE to do and am trying to figure out how to do is borrow/rent/adopt 3 or so layers for July and August when I am in the county full time ...

they could be older hens or hens that are being picked on in a big flock ...I think I have a winter caregiver and if I don't I have friends who have a very small flock who could handle a few more birds if the lender/rehomer didn't want the hens back ...

any ideas? your posts about fabulous fowl are making me jealous ;)