Pages

Friday, December 15, 2006

Wild Dye Jobs ... ;-)

There are some WILD dye jobs on some of the ewes here at Willow Garden!

Kismet, my clean-up ram, has a marking harness on ... mostly so I can see who will lamb later than the others.

I used orange as I thought it would show up well. It did! I also bought a 'Cold Weather Crayon', since he would be wearing it from December 9th until Jan 13th ... and THAT is winter here. At least it is every other year! Since the weather got warm, the crayon is less bright, and I really have to look in order to see the colour placed on moorit ewes on very mild days!

So far, he has bred 12 ewes ... in six days. Looks like a busy first of May coming ... following a busy first of April!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill--Do let me know how the marking works out for you, as I've always wondered just how effective it would be for Shetlands. Since I find many of my rams will jump or try to jump any ewe that is open even when they aren't in heat?

I typically look for more pronounced activity like definite following all day long and mussed up rump wool in lieu of using a marking harness and have found this works well for me. But then the paddocks are close to the house and I see the sheep often.

Karen
Winter Sky Shetlands