Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Gotta Reduce The Flock!

I am SOOO concerned with keeping my flock safe! Daily almost, I get to see a guy who looks like this wander casually through my pastures ... in the middle of the day! He is beautiful ... but ... he has carried off NINE of my lambs and killed one MATURE ram!

I am having him hunted, but he is nowhere to be seen when the guns are around. My dogs , are puppies and won't be a match for this dude and his family until they are at LEAST two years old.
As a shepherd, one of my main roles is to KEEP MY FLOCK SAFE! In order to do that over the coming winter ... I need to get rid of a LOT of sheep. The plan is to keep a maximum of 36 ewes/ewe lambs and to breed fewer than 30. I also hope to get my ram flock down from14 mature rams and the six ram lambs (out of 49) that I planned to keep this winter. I hope to keep only six to eight in total.

This is an opportunity for folks in Canada. I'll sell any ewe or ewe lamb for $225 (with a $25 per animal discount for purchases of 3 or more) and I'll breed the ewe to the ram of your choice from this list.
  • WillowGarden Garnish
  • FirthofFifth Lassig
  • FirthofFirth Aman
  • Lil' Country Greyson
  • North Wind Holiday
  • V Creek Leo
  • Columb (linebred on Underhill Thelonius Monk)
  • or one of my ram lambs

What is left on the sale list as of mid-November will be sold for slaughter. I would rather have them die a humane death than be ripped apart by a coy/wolf!

I also have a LOT of quality rams that I'll part with. Email me to ask who is for sale.

I'll try to update my website Sale sections, but I'm really busy emptying Gene's house as it is sold for Sep 1.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

How I wish I could help you out! I hope the Canadian breeders take advantage of this opportunity to nab some of your beautiful sheep -- or your predator is eliminated soon.

Nancy K. said...

It SO sucks that we can't buy any of your sheep here in the US!

I can only imagine how hard it must be for you to lose members of your flock in such a way. You are a wonderful shepherd! (and Friend)

Juliann said...

Bill, my heart breaks for you, and anyone else having to deal with a predator problem. I hope the coywolf is eliminated sooner rather than later, for your sake.

Crosswinds Farm said...

I hope you can get him! Hmmm......Do you think we could sneak some of your sheep over the border ;)?

Unknown said...

Do you think the border will ever open for imports in both directions? I am very sad that we cannot help out down here in the States.