Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Eve ... the Gift of 48 Lives Is On Its Way!

About 13 months ago, I was delivering a ram for friends to use for breeding. While making that drive, I listened to Sheila Rogers interviewing Stephen Lewis on CBC Radio One. I was so emotionally moved by Stephen's message about the AIDS/HIV pandemic that I had to pull over to the side of the road until I could stop crying. I knew that I had to do something, but was unsure of just what a simple shepherd could do to help with such a pandemic. Finally it came to me ... I would donate a portion of my sheep sales to the Mother-to-Child HIV Prevention program, through World Vision. I pledged to donate $25 from each sheep sold at breeding stock prices. Two friends pledged to match my donation ... which meant that for each sheep I could sell for breeding stock ... a baby would have a chance at life.My goal was to sell enough sheep so that a baby could be saved for each of the 55 countries in Africa. I had donations of cash that went to my project ... donations made in my name ... donations made from my shearing event ... and today ... I just sent a donation of $1200 to cover sheep sold for breeding stock. Once the two Carol's make their contributions, we will be OVER 55 ... closer to 58 or 59 I think. It feels wonderful to have been able to do this. Carol Arthur likes to keep a lower profile about this sort of thing ... but I can't thank her enough for her financial and spiritual support! Carol Brough, our real estate agent here in Prince Edward County deserves the same thanks ... and will also get some decent ... and deserved ... press coverage from this in the New Year ... I HOPE! The battle against the AIDS/HIV pandemic is far from over ... but ... on this Christmas Eve 2007 ... I bring this portion of my contribution to a close. Thank you my family and friends for your support, encouragement and tolerance.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I missed the regular updates from your sheep after you had been doing this for a short while; thanks for the year-end report! And thanks for doing your part; you are an inspiration. :-)

Bill Stearman said...

Thanks Michelle,

I suspect that a lot of folks missed it due to the busy time of year. I'll repost ... or post to the new 'community' about it. I'm pretty proud of what we accomplished ... $4500 ... which is ... 60 babies born with a chance at life. And I'd like the folks who contributed and matched my donation to get recognition! Really, all I did was reduce the discount on group purchases of sheep from $50 per animal to $25 ... sshhhhh ... we'll let that be our little secret ... hehehe.

Bill