Pages

Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Comes to Willow Garden ... Inside

Well ... I have been waiting patiently ... or as patiently as I can ... for the arrival of grand baby #2. S/he was due last Tuesday, and I thought Kate would be early ... so ... I wait.

I am not allowed to call and ask if she is in labour yet. So ... I have to find 'excuses' to call. So far I have managed a legitimate excuse about three times a day. Soon, though, I will run out of things that they might have borrowed from me ... hehehe

In the mean time, we had friends and family here for supper on the weekend (including Kate and Tim). I already had the lights up for the sheep ... but company coming meant that it was time to put up decorations inside the house ... This is my Grandmother's night-blooming something or other ... which has NEVER bloomed in the 60 some years it has been in the family! It does look good sitting on the water cooler ... decked out with garlands and lights though. Well ... maybe not 'good' ... but certainly BETTER. This is THE ugliest plant in the history of the world ... hehehe. (but don't tell my Aunt as she gave it to me to look after 'for the family')
Above and below is our tree. We didn't cut one of the Eastern Red Cedars so plentiful on the farm ... since the one we cut last year made the entire house smell like 'cat pee' after just the first day. This one is a 'cut your own'. I went with Kate and Tim to cut it (at LEAST three phone calls were required to organize that event ... ;-).

It is not as big around as other years, so it fit in a different corner that required less furniture re-arranging. Could I be getting older? Oh dear ... Christmas isn't supposed to be 'convenient' ... *sigh*.
And this ... is my 2007 advent calendar. I miss the chocolate bits that came with previous advent calendars ... but ... this one just makes me feel good.
The snow on Sunday turned the world into a magical and radiant winter wonderland here. I'll try for pictures of the lambs 'playing' in it ... but ... I am working for the rest of the week.

Hoping that all who read this are enjoying the magic that comes with preparation for this wonderful season.

Hugs to all!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

It's a Night Blooming Cereus. I have one, too. The blooms look like a gigantic Christmas Castus bloom and STINK! Mine is white, but there are other colors. Have it in an Easterly window for best bloom chance! Oh, it doesn't like a lot of water...

stephen rouse said...

I will enjoy the magic of the holiday disappering entirely on its own without my having to put ANYTHING away the day after Xmas! :-)

stephen

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Bill!
Miss you ~ Lisa

Michelle said...

Perhaps the night-blooming cereus is waiting until you go to bed? Flowering is, after all, a sexual activity. Perhaps it's a modest plant!