Pages

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

One Hot and Sunny Afternoon

Well ... it is a hot one out there ... but absolutely beautiful! I couldn't resist taking some pictures of my Hexham (Bluefaced) Leicesters. They looked so cool (literally) under the cedars by the rail fence.
Hazel has such an elegant look about her ... even if she does try to be coy with the camera, at times ... :-)
MacLaine is always willing to explore and try new things.
MacLaine and Calder would make such great students in a classroom. They are such good listeners ... hehehe
The shy ones in the flock ... Kale and Brae ... will get photographed next time I am out there with my camera ... ;-)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I think you're in love. :-) And I love those first two photos! I've never heard the name/term Hexham; where does that come from vs. the BFL name?

Bill Stearman said...

Hexham is the region where the breed was developed. They were imported into Canada in the 1970s and registered with CLRC through the Canadian Sheep Breeders Association, as 'Hexham Leicesters'.

In the 1990s (I think) they were taken from the farm where they were in Canada, and from a farm in the US that got them from the Canadian flock ... and the move to restore/re-establish breed type happened then ... under the name Bluefaced Leicesters. Lots of hard work in terms of selection and AI has happened in a short time in order to get the breed here in North America ... to the same point that it is in the UK.

I like to use the name Hexham Leicesters as it more reflects the Canadian heritage associated with the breed.

Interesting history in North America for these characters ... :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill! This has nothing to do with your post but I was here so I thought I'd leave a message . . . are we having a summer get together with the crew this year??? ~Lisa

Bethany said...

Hello there. I can't for the life of me remember how I found your blog, but I am so happy I did. Your new Hexham/Bluefaced Leicesters are very beautiful.

Kathy said...

And my, what big ears they have! :)

I have really enjoyed learning more about the BFL from your posts, Bill. Thank you for that. I love spinning their fleece, but hadn't heard that much about them.

Great photos, too. Can those ears pick up WLS in Chicago? hee, hee. (I'd probably be stroking the softness of their ears like I do my cats) Sheep RADAR...I love it! :-)