Pages

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Bad Dog!!

Speaking of rabbits ... they have been driving Kayla, my female LGD crazy. They seem to know to stay away from her side of the fence, but they do come close enough to tease the heck out of my dogs.

Well ... on Friday morning ... early ... in the hieght of the cold and wet freezing rain ... I got a call from Matt (the kid across the road who makes it possible for me to do this). He wanted to tell me that Kayla, was walking across my neighbours field ... likely after a pesky rabbit!.

I took off like a bat out of 'you know where' and climbed over snow drifts (actually sunk into many of them) to get to a place where she could hear and see me. Once I was in the same field as her, I called to her and told her to 'COME!'. She looked at me for a few seconds and then lowered her head and continued on in the opposite direction. Obviously, her desire to ... get that rabbit ... was stronger than her desire to ... make Bill happy!

I started to run after her ... in a foot of snow ... wearing boots ... in the wet and cold freezing rain. I was furious. Then ... I fell and was face down in the snow. At that moment, anyone could have had a dog REAL cheap!

I finally caught up with her about a kilometre away from home ... and then walked her home via the road. About the time that I caught her, Matt came along ... on his bicycle! Seems that his Mom saw me fall in the snow while she was sipping her tea. Once she had stopped laughing, she suggested that Matt might go and give me a hand.

We were quite the sight, I am sure ... Matt with his bicycle ... me dragging an 80 pound dog ... and all dripping wet and sliding all over the place because of the freezing rain.

Needless to say, as soon as we got home ... Kayla went 'on the log'. It sounds worse than it really is, but she'll have to keep the drag for a few days ... until I can once again trust her.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, wish I were there to see that. Poor Kayla, just trying to have a little fun!!
Hope you have rested up well.
Shari

Anonymous said...

The most often heard joke regarding a Pyr:
"What do you call a Pyr that is off leash?"

"Gone" :-)

Tammy W. said...

Oh Bill - too funny! I would have loved to watch the show from the comfort of a warm and cozy room.
Cheers :-)
Tammy

Michelle said...

That "log" doesn't look big enough to slow down an 80-lb. dog much!

Kathy said...

I am so glad you didn't fall down and break your "looking glass", as my dear Nana used to say!

I do hope the dog's log is a nice big one...that'll teach her to get you out of a nice warm house! Ha, ha, ha!

Keep warm!

Nancy K. said...

That log doesn't look big enough to slow down my KITTENS ~ let alone stop your big dog! Get serious Bill.

;-)

Glad everyone's OK.
Did she get the rabbit?????

Judy said...

Forgive my ignorance...I was reading your blog about the ewes and lambs for sale. I don't know what "katmoget", "smirslet", or "gulmoget" (and other) mean. Thanks Judy