Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Willow Garden Dexters ... the Downsized Herd ... :-)

I have retained what I think are the best of the best of my Dexters as well.  All are A2/A2 and free of Chondro and PHA.  My goal is to keep just two adult cows.
 This is my polled bull imported from Carol Koller in New York State ... Midhill Ziek.  Besides being polled and A2/A2, he also carries dun from his sire.  Ziek was a year old on May 30th.  He is maturing into a wonderful herd sire with a mellow disposition!  I am thrilled with him and can't wait to see his calves this winter!
T-bone is available to hang out with Ziek when he needs to be away from his girls.  He will also be in our freezer around May, 2012.
 Petit Sabot Winka is a wonderful heifer.  She is 39-ish" tall at 23 months.  She is due to calve this winter, likely in early March.  Although she is more 'stand-offish', I hope to milk her once she calves.
Petit Sabot Whiskers is about 38-ish" tall at 22 months ... and my favourite!  She is bred to Ziek for a January calf.  She is dog tame and will likely be a good milker.
Here are Whiskers and Winka together.  Pictures like this tell me that I kept the right two cows ... :-)
And here are my three registered, A2/A2 Dexter cattle ... the beginning of my herd ... Willow Garden Dexters!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

I love what you have done Bill. This is my hope, as you know. If the midwifery practice can pickup I hope to be able to bring in as nice a little group as you. I so enjoy the Dexters and have loved watching you develop your mini-herd of, lol, semi-mini cows.