Pages

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Insanity? ... Perhaps ... Likely ... hehehe

Well ... I have broken up 'round one breeding groups' after 17 days (one cycle). Usually, most get bred in that time.

I am headed for Michigan this weekend to bring back North Wind Holiday. I owned Holiday once, but couldn't get him across the border back then. He is older, but an F1 Holly ... AND even at 6 years of age, he has NO white fibres coming in. I have saved him 14 ewes, and he will do clean-up on all of the rest. I hope that he breeds DOZENS in my flock! I like so much about this guy!
He has a shorter fleece ... but then ... a lot of my ewes have longer fleeces than I like. Hopefully, things will work out well. He is also VERY soft, even for an older guy. Some of us DO maintain what matters as we age ... no ... mature ... :-)

I am THRILLED that he is coming to Canada!

7 comments:

Ebonwald Cardigans said...

if you keep this up, there won't be any nice rams left in the US! And we can't import back from canada...you should work on that too :)

congrats! now you just need 50 more ewes to help keep all those boys happy!

kkaci said...

Oooh, he's beautiful. Perhaps we should drop Kivu off for a visit next fall :-) ! Mmm ... no, maybe we'll stick to breeding to a moorit next year.

Michelle said...

(Uh, isn't THAT a moorit?) Anyway, congratulations on getting him again! I am looking forward to seeing what my F2 Holly produces for me next spring.

kkaci said...

He looks black to me (bleached) ... too much sun coming in my window perhaps :-). Bill, what colour is he?

Bill Stearman said...

Holiday is indeed a nice dark moorit ... with no white fibres. He is pretty thin and was being bashed badly by the other rams where he was. Here, he'll spend the winter with my ewes. I want his genetics well crossed with my Hornblower, Glayva, Orion, Greyling, and others.

Carol B. said...

I saw Holiday back when you owned him and had him for sale. I didn't buy him because I thought his feece was too short, and I thought his horns were "iffy."

I saw him about a year ago at Gail's and I remember thinking that he had matured into a very nice looking ram. The horns were no longer "iffy" looking. Fleece was still short, but very soft. I love the deep color.

I am glad he is finally coming to live with you in Canada. Did Gail use him for breeding this year? I vaguely remember something about her planning to use him.

Danny Hansen said...

Bill, I love browsing your blog because I find gold mines like this guy. Found his 7 year old micron results in another one of your posts...wow. Looked on the database, and a lady near me (Dawn Berner) has some offspring from him via SP Isidora. I think I know what my next buy is gonna be!