Pages

Monday, July 14, 2008

TWIST - I'm Liking This Boy

I took some new pictures of lambs yesterday. I couldn't stop taking pictures of Twist. I like him. A lot. He has more britch than I like to see on a ram lamb ... but ... he sure makes me smile!His dam is a white ewe, Whistlestop 0429 (Lizbet). She is F2 Drum Jings and F1 Island Skeld.
His sire is a very dark grey katmoget, WillowGarden Nelson AI. He is out of Great Plains Cherry (F2 Timothy, F2 Greyling). His sire is Todhill Hornblower.
I still have NO CLUE as to what colour this guy is! If he got the Katmoget pattern from his sire, then the dam must be carrying Ag. I can see nothing other than white in the dam's pedigree as far back as I can trace it on line.
So ... I am leaning towards thinking that this guy is white with a LOT of phaeo. I'll use him on a few ewes this Fall, to confirm this.
But ... he sure has a nice look to him, doesn't he?

I'll try to post more lamb pictures later ... :-)

3 comments:

stephen rouse said...

Hi Bill,

his fleece doesn't quite look white to me. I'm betting he isn't Awt. i can't actually see much in the line of katmoget in him...do you have any photos of him as a young lamb? I did think I saw what might be kind of a "tear drop" on one side of his face. I'm wondering if he could also be spotted? His horns looked striped. Just thinking aloud. I don't know what he is. --stephen

Carol B. said...

Twist reminds me a little bit of Juliann's Clune Forest ewes as far as coloring goes. Definitely Shetland in every other way. But it makes me think of rare agouti patterns that cam be hidden by white sheep. Or sheep that people call white because they are not dark.

The other thought is an extreme mioget modifier. MmMmMmMm. Hair on face and legs have little affect. Wool is almost colorless due to extreme dilution.

Just my wild speculations here. I hope you use him for breeding and let us know the results.

Carol

Crosswinds Farm said...

He is stunning!