Pages

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Summer Vacation Coming To An End

Well ... it has been a pleasant summer with my four Tamworth Gilts ... but ... it is time. They will 'leave' on Wednesday.

While I was away a short while ago, they decided that the back yard looked good. Poor Gene came home from a HARD day at work ... to not only pigs in the yard ... but two sumning themselves on our deck! They don't listen ti Gene, but sure know that I am the DAD!! It hasn't happened again ... hehehe
I have spoken with them about several of their less appropriate behaviours, and thay have not been repeated. They love me ... and scratches behind their ears ... and even belly scratches. BUT ... they are still NOT staying ... no matter how cute they are when they follow me around the farm.
They have gotten pretty big, and are now at the size that I'd need to confine them with an electric fence if they stayed much longer. So far, they have roamed freely, and grazed on 24 acres. They are looking big enough to me ... and actually, may be starting to get FAT. I have no idea what they weigh ... but since the 'cut and wrap' is by the pound ... I'll find out ... ;-)
They leave in the Pork-mobile that my neighbour and I put together ... on Wednesday morning. They will return as chops, bacon, roast pork, ham, ham steaks, smoked pork chops, a few flavours of sausage, ground pork, and RIBS.

Today, they were in the orchard eating the windfall apples ... hmmm ... can't help but enhance the flavour eh? ... hehehe

Will I miss them? Of course. Will I get more pigs again ... NOT IN THIS LIFE TIME ... hehehe

No comments: