Pages

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Delivering Starter Flocks

This week has been a busy one, and it looks like it will continue. I have several starter flocks that I am getting to people. The weather is perfect for moving sheep, and everyone's holidays seem to be over, so it is working out well.

Above and below are four lovely ewe lambs headed for Wendy Whelan's farm, near Little Britain, ON.

The grey lamb lying down (she looks brown, but is really grey) is the normally mouthy, opinionated, and curious Granny Smith. As soon as the truck moved and she felt the motion, she collapsed and would NOT get up, even after we arrived at Wendy's. I was a little bit concerned, except that through all of her 'ordeal', she didn't stop eating hay. Once she was out of the truck, though, she was fine ... hehehe
Below is Luffa. You can tell looking at that face that she is a girl used to getting her own way. She did a LOT of foot stomping at me ... and assured me that she would NOT like her new home and that she would be miserable for the rest of her life if I didn't put her back with the rest of the flock. Needless to say ... I did NOT put her back. Their new farm ... and new shepherds ... all marvelous. And this morning I got an email saying that all are well and settling nicely. I expect that by the end of today ... Wendy will have them 'eating out of the palm of her hand' ... especially Luffa ... ;-)

2 comments:

Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Its nice to have you posting again, Bill ;) Wish some of those little starter flocks were coming to live with me! Maybe one day...it will be interesting to see how your new "buildings" work. We will be constructing a hoop house of sorts, with cattle panels and tarp, for the Shetland wethers. Have a great day! Cary in Michigan

Anonymous said...

Wish I knew you were coming down this way. I would have asked you to bring 2 more skeins of wool close to the grey colour so I can finish the shawl.
Shari