Pages

Sunday, June 18, 2006

First Broken Horn of the Season

Well, with 46 ram lambs, it was bound to happen. Box Car Willie, a mioget smirslet sokket ram out of Dailley Kate and WillowGarden Duke Ellington broke a horn! And to make it even worse, he only partially broke it and he breaks it a bit more each day. One side of his face is covered with blood no matter how often I wash him! I have tried a few times to just pull the horn off and get over with it ... but I can't bring myself to do it. Can you imagine the pain? It must be about like loosing a fingernail! So ... he gets it bathed and medicated twice a day. It gets worse every day and my goal is to have it right off by the weekend. I feel for the guy.

Box Car is a special guy, as he is Kate's last lamb. She is being retired ... 13 years old, arthritis, poor vision ... but ... attitude, spunk, personality, and an 'I can do anything that I want!' attitude. She is a family favourite. And Box Car will be as well.

1 comment:

Nancy K. said...

I was just thinking that it was about time that we'd start hearing about ram lambs breaking horns. Sorry about your litle guy. I had one do that last year and I know just how you feel. I knew I should just yank it off ~ even got my fingers around it (several times) and got a good grip ~ I just couldn't do it. He finally broke it off himself. Not fun. I hope your guy heals well and fast! Nice lamb.