Pages

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Exciting Times Are Coming!

Well ... it is time to tell you all about my Birthday /Father's day gift from my daughter and my son in law. I am a strange man ... or so some would think ... but there were just two things on my wish list ... a hammock, which Gene bought for me ... and straws of semen, which my daughter and son in law contibuted to for me. I wanna tell yah ... when I opened the envelope and saw the shocked looking picture of a ram with a 'bubble' that said ... "You want me to do WHAT - in WHERE" ... and then when a straw fell out of the envelope and landed on the floor ... I laughed hysterically ... I knew that my daughter both loved, and understood her 'old man' ... hehehe


Anyway ... A long while ago, a few of us decided that we wanted to get some UK genetics into our Canadian flock ... so we agreed to share a semen import if it could be worked out. In the mean time, I was able to add a LOT of really quality UK lines to my flock through a purchase from Carol Arthur in Alberta (Great Plains sheep that you will see talked about here).

Anyway ... the importation has gone ahead and I have decided to stick to my commitment add the new UK genetics, along with what I already have in my flock. Soooo ... I know own a 25% share of the Todhill Hornblower straws. Hornblower is from Lenice Bell's flock in Scotland. He apparently has a soft, even crimpy fleece, with few white fibres at four years of age. His scrapie genotype is ARR/ARQ.

The other ram, Toddhill Glayva, is also from Lenice's flock, he has great conformation and a great fleece as well, but has no white fibres at 6 years of age, and is ARR.ARR, AND he also may carry modified genetics. He is a light moorit ram, and I own a 50% share of his straws.

Exciting times ... continue to happen here in Ontario ... but ... since I am now keeping more mature ewes ... my sales list for yearlings and lambs has grown!

I will post about that list separately. There will be some REAL surprises on that list let me tell you! (If you want an advanced copy, ask soon).

I just wanted you all to know about my soon to be ... adventure into AI!

Life is GRAND!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you know if any of this seman you are importing will be going to the US? I live in California and would like to purchase a few straws of Hornblower's seman. I am trying to find a way to get the gulmoget pattern going in my flock as well. How did you get your gulmoget genetics going. Did it come from a Dailey ram?
By the way I love to look at all the pictures you post.