Pages

Monday, December 06, 2010

Shopping For Herd Sire

In my quest to begin working toward a polled herd of smaller, but NOT short legged, Dexters, I have been searching for the right young bull to bring in to the farm as the herd sire for next year. My herd is small, with just 4 cows and two yearlings to be bred next year, so I am sharing ownership of any bull that I purchase with a friend who has the same breeding goals. It is nice to have someone to share this dream with ... :-) ... and it will give us that many more chances to develop a couple of lines of Polled Dexter family milking cows.

Above was before the snow ... :-)

The rest of the pictures were taken today with him being just over six months old. He is heterozygous polled, carries dun, and is tested A2/A2 (hmmm ... we'll discuss that one in another post, as I have tested all of my stock for this ... :-)








Still lots to think about with this guy ... and lots for me to learn ... but ... I like this guy A LOT ... and I'm excited that he is mine if I want him. And he is a size that I could likely transport on my own.

Life is good!

PS ... Looks like we may have a third breeder to join us in this quest for a couple of lines of A2/A2 homozygous polled bulls ... :-)

Life is REALLY good!

No comments: