Pages

Saturday, October 02, 2010

Full Circle

These are pictures of my flock taken during my 'early years'.
In 2002, I bred 17 Shetland ewes. I was new, enthused, and ready to work like mad to develop an awesome flock. I loved my sheep and knew each one of them. We spent quiet time together and dreamed together about awesome lambs.
It was a very good time for this Shetland shepherd ... :-)
Over the years, the flock numbers just sort of 'grew'.
In 2003 and 2004 numbers of ewes bred were around 55.
In 2005 and 2006 those numbers were between 75 and 89.
In 2007 and 2008 I started to downsize and had the numbers back down into the 50's.
In 2009, after losing numerous lambs to coyotes, I drastically reduced the numbers to 25 ewes bred.
This year, 2010, I have 18 adult Shetland ewes to breed. Six of them are extension dominant and will be bred to Cormo rams. The other 12 will be bred to fine fleeced, very correct, spotted Shetland rams. I am also retaining eight Shetland ewe lambs for evaluation, but I have stopped breeding ewe lambs.

That has my ewe flock at 26. I have 5 rams, but one of them will spend the winter at another farm and then be sold. This means that I will have 30 sheep on my farm this winter!

The sheep that I have retained are the best ... of the best ... of the best of what I have produced over the years. I know each one of them. I love my little flock of little sheep and look forward to once again spending quiet time sitting and dreaming with them!

Pictures will follow as soon as I get myself a little more organized ... :-)

Life is good!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I know about that just sort of 'grew' thing! :) I am going to have to stop talking to you or we are going to be completely over-run with critters!

Juliann said...

Wonderful! I see a diversity in fleece, all of which look fine and soft! Proof that "diversity doesn't have to come in coarse".
Congrats on all your hard work, careful stock selection, hard culling, it has really paid off in one of the finest flocks in North America.