Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2007

ShelteringPines Zimbelstern

I think I bought this little girl on the day that she was born ... or at least on the day that her picture was first posted on the list. I LOVE spotted sheep, and my goal is for my spotted sheep to be fine and even ... and to meet the same numbers as all of the other sheep in my flock.

This histogram is from an 18 month old fleece. SD is a bit high ... and CV is as well ... but ... the AFD, while not outstanding ... is VERY acceptable!
Zimbelstern is being bred to Kilimanjaro this Fall. I look forward to spotted lambs with improved fleeces. She is one cute Shetland!

3 comments:

Carol B said...

Bill,

These histogram examples are very interesting. I will look forward to seeing how the lamb's histograms compare as yearlings next year. I imagine that the average fiber diameter may increase, but I think some SD's and CV's may not increase in the more single coated fleeces.

I am glad you included photos of the sheep too. Do you find that the data from these test corresponds well with how much you like to handle or spin a certain fleece?

Franna said...

Bill,
These are FABULOUS! Thank you for sharing. Most folks talk about the "softness" of their sheep's fleeces but don't have the numbers to go with it. I love looking and comparing. :-)
Warning! Math content! Note that the calculation for CV uses both the AFD and SD. As the AFD goes DOWN, the CV will go UP (assuming the same SD).

Bill Stearman said...

Hey moses and blizzard! Good to hear from you! What I am finding abount 'hand', for me, is that I am often fooled by a low SD and low CV into thinking that the fleece feels softer. I;m trying to train myself so that I can actually feel ... or see ... finess. Lots of learning needed for this old shepherd.

Say 'hi' to you Mom for me ... ;-)

Bill