Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2008

A Life HAS To Matter ... Africa Calls to Me Again.

As I have 'matured' (read that 'aged'), my heart has just become so very filled with love. Most of the time, that love just seems to spill out and go nowhere productive.

Two years ago, I decided to channel some of that love into saving babies in Africa. With the help of Carol Arthur and Carol Brough (Picton Century 21 agent) ... and family and friends ... I was able to raise enough money for anti-retrovirals and medical care so that 60 babies were born without HIV, even though there mothers had HIV. That project felt good ... :-)

My heart continues to be sreaming that I have to do more! So ... this year I am committed to a couple of projects in Ghana. I will be donating money through "Village Volunteers". If you go to their website ... under 'Village Programs' ... click on Ghana. Of the money that you donate to a specific project, ALL of it goes to that project!

The first project that I want to do is to support Dzidefo Women's Cooperative. This venture was started with the support of Peta Hall, a wonderful potter and a dear friend. At present their are 5 woman in the cooperative, but they plan to increase that number to 10 in 2009. This project allows these women and their families to live independently, with dignity.
Their work is wonderful and reflects the happiness they find as they move toward self sufficiency. It is available for purchase though a website based in the US ... Sustainable Bebe. Peta has some of the garments and cushion covers available in her shop as well. I am also hoping that I can become a distributer of sorts and market things in southern Ontario.
It will actually take very little to have this cooperative funded for the year. The cost of fabric is $50 per sewer ... and the new sewing machines are just $75 each. That is a mere $850 USD. At the moment, that is about $1050 CAD. Throughout 2009, I will donate $25 from the sale of each sheep to these woman through Village Volunteers.

I am hoping that others who read this blog, might consider either donating to the cooperative ... or purchasing garments. If folks are able to donate, please let me know, or tell the Village Volunteer folks "Bill sent me."

Once I have THIS project underway ... I'll tell you about the orphanage that is affiliated with this cooperative and my dreams for supporting the kids there ... :-) My plan includes spending 6 to10 weeks working there as a volunteer, beginning in January 2010.

No comments: