Pages

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

My Aging Heart

I am not sure what exactly is happening to me as I age ... but I just seem to be so much more directed by my heart in what I do. I have always tried to live that way ... but now ... I can't help it.

There are so many times when I tear up ... and I'm only 56 years old! I figure by the time I am 65, I'll be crying all of the time ... over the hatching of a chick ... over the birth of a lamb ... over the sad things that happen to others ... over the love that I feel for and from family and friends ... over Christmas, and my lifetime of Christmases ... over every family holiday and event, and the people who were honoured, and the people who are no longer here ... over my own inadequacies in terms of feeling that I have make enough of a difference.

I am become such a sentimental old fart ... so to speak ... hehehe

The photo above is from the team page of my dear friend, and co-worker Lisa's website. This weekend is 'The Weekend To End Breast Cancer' walkathon, being held in Ottawa. Lisa lost her mom very quickly to breast cancer not long ago ... and is using this event to help with her healing ... but also to help the cause. Her goal was to raise $2500. My goal for this young woman was for her to raise $4000. She has worked hard at her fundraising ... but with help from people who read this blog ... and others of course ... Lisa has surpassed this goal. Check her website and see. Lisa, of course, is the young woman in the picture ... with attitude ... something that she needs in order to survive working with me ... hehehe

My thoughts ... and of course this sentimental old heart ... will be with her, and her team, this weekend. I am sure that many readers of this blog will be in the same space ... just without the silly old fart sentiment part of it ... :-)
On a less upbeat note, a fellow Shetland breeder that I have known from the net, and got to meet when she came to the AGM here in Ontario last year, Becky Utecht ... lost her hay fields, her barn, and all of the hay that she had put up for the year to feed her wonderful flock. Details are on Becky's blog.


With the border being closed, I am not able to send a lamb for the auction that will happen sometime soon in the US to raise funds to help ... so ... I donated the money that I got today from the sale of Okra ... my bottle baby 35% UK katmoget ewe lamb. Like me, Okra lives by her heart ... and left here today in the backseat of a truck ... begging to be in the front seat. The woman who bought her, Nat, appears to live by her heart as well. I am sure that Okra ended up in the front seat before she got to her new home. And I am SURE that Okra's heart would get as crazy sentimental as mine at the thought of what she was able to do ... by allowing me to sell her to a new home.

Okra ... you are buying hay to help feed Becky's flock this winter ... now don't YOU go getting all sentimental over this as well ... :-)

Darn ... there I go again ... grrrr ... :-)

Not sure what is happening with my heart as I age ... but it sure feels good ... :-)

No comments: