Pages

Monday, July 17, 2006

Cull Rams

Well ... with over 45 ram lambs born this year ... AND a real desire to NOT keep a ram flock of 30 plus over the winter ... I made the first 'cut' of my ram lambs today. I have thought, caught, and examined all of them at great length, and many times ... and managed to find 20 that I can let go now.

Look at these fleeces and the conformation ... and the colour and pattern. The process was NOT easy!

Above is a grey smirslet katmoget.
This moorit ram it 37.5% UK.
This one is likely emsket, and is either spotted, or carrying spots.
... a mioget gulmoget
... a moorit F2, double F3 (50% UK) ram

... a moorit F2 ram

All 20 of the rams that I selected and tagged today were purchased (along with some ewes and ewe lambs) by my friend Nat. Nat has sheep ... and border collies ... and Maremmas ... and frequently has started pups for sale. Here is the link to her blog. I would recommend a purchase of ANYTHING from her farm! What better place for these guys to go ... than to her 'herding flock'. And next year, I think they'll be pretty valuable ... as 'border collie tolerant' sheep ... hehehe

Keep watching here ... as, it is my hope, by the end of the weekend ... to have pictures, descriptions and information ... about the limited number of ram lambs ... and yearling lambs ... that will be for sale at WillowGarden.

No comments: