Pages

Monday, May 08, 2006

Hang On!

Hang on everyone! I am in a real rambling mood this morning ... so don't expect anything too coherent ... hehehe

First off ... while exploring files last night I came across this photograph from Carole Dailley. The ram ... is the one and only S0555. This ram appears in many of our spotted pedigrees. I also think that he looks a lot like Stephen Rouse's Darious, in terms of size and structure.



I spent much of the weekend fencing with the kid across the road, Matt helping me. I don't know what I would do without Matt. He is 15 years old, loves my sheep, learns quickly, and thinks that $7.50 an hour is a LOT of money ... hehehe. I have told him that I will do what I can to be sure he fails a grade or two ... so that it is longer until he goes off to college ... LOL. Unfortunately, he is a good student, so I may loose him in a couple of years ... *sigh*.

Anyway ... the perimeter is fenced and now we are working on interior fencing to create five 3 to 4 acres pastures to rotate the ewes through over the summer.

Our constant companion as we work in the fields ... is Kayla, one of my Livestock Guardian Dogs. Nick, who weighs in at a little over 200 pounds will sometimes 'gallomp' out to see what is going on, but he does have a much more laid back approach to life.
And ... Jessie, the wonder dog, who wants to work the sheep, but doesn't know how because her master (me) has not taken the time to train her ... is never far away.

Norah, our black and white Newfoundland Landseer 'pup', is much more like Nick, and rarely has the desire to walk waaayyy to the back of the farm ... especially since there are shade trees and dirt holes ... right outside the back door!



Here is my final ramble ... another picture from Carole Dailley ... from the early years. Not sure which ewe this is, but she sure looks to have a katmoget lamb at her side! The lamb also looks to be very well marked and dark ... perhaps proving that all Dailley katmogets were not actually Alb, but might have truly been Ab. Oh how I wish I had known Carole 25 years ago!!

1 comment:

Danny Hansen said...

So...the ewe is not katmoget...that means either mutation occurred, or a katmoget ram was used...