Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

New 'BULLS'

I have not enjoyed having Marvin here with me to breed my cows before his trip to my freezer. But ... I picked up a headgate/squeeze today so will be able to confine my cows adequately for AIing.

There is a real scarcity of Dexter semen here in Canada, so I have decided that I need to acquire straws when I can, so that I can build up a semen 'bank' for use in future years.

Here are the first two new boys ... :-)
Above is Riverhill Dusk Enchanter (dob 1989-04-09). I will be getting an as yet to be determined number of straws from this guy. He is black and carries DUN. I hear from Dexter milkers that his daughters often have improved udders. I'll likely use this guy on my two older cows.
And this is Trillium Cluny (dob 1980-04-04). This picture was taken when he was younger and I like this guy a lot. He had a 42" hip height and weighed 1,000 pounds at 7 years. I have seen some awesome daughters out of him. I am working out a 'deal' with a Shetland/Dexter friend to trade rams for a limited number of straws of Cluny semen. I'd like to use him on my young cow, Marjori.

No comments: